Leave of Absence Policy and Withdrawal from the University

Leave of Absence Policy 

Leave of Absence (LOA) is considered an approved Leave of Absence that allows Federal Student Aid (Title IV Aid) recipients to temporarily leave attendance from Vanguard University.  LOA’s may only be granted for periods of up to 180 days (approximately 6 months) within a 12 month period. To qualify, students must be in good academic standing, and apply in advance of the time period they wish to be on leave. A request for leave of absence may be made with the Office of the Registrar. Students taking a leave of absence are not regarded as having permanently withdrawn from the University and need not apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. A leave of absence is not intended for students wishing to withdraw during the current semester.

Any student granted a leave during the add/drop period (as outlined in the University Catalog) for the semester will be dropped from any classes that the student is enrolled in. If the leave is granted after 75% of the semester the student may, with faculty approval, receive an Incomplete for one or more courses.  If an Incomplete is not deemed appropriate, a grade of “W” will be issued. No refund of charges will be made for courses in which an Incomplete is given. No credit is earned for any course in which a “W” is issued. Refunds, if any, will be granted based upon the University's refund policy as found in the University course catalog.

Military Leave of Absence Policy

Military Leave is available for Veteran students who, due to documented deployment or drilling, need to leave the University during the semester without completing their current coursework, or to withdraw from the University for up to two (2) consecutive terms.  Students on military leave are not regarded as having permanently withdrawn from the institution and need not apply for readmission.  Military leave forms can be obtained from the VA School Certifying Official or the Registrar's Office.

Withdrawal from the University 

The University desires to establish a clear process for students who choose to withdraw from the University.  In order to do so, the student must complete the following steps:

  1. Contact the Office of the Registrar and complete a withdrawal application and submit to the Office of the Registrar.
  2. An student withdrawal application is incomplete until the Office of the Registrar approves in writing the request to withdrawal from the institution.
  3. If a student does not return at the conclusion of the LOA, their enrollment status will be changed to Administrative Withdrawal, retroactive to their last date of attendance at Vanguard University.
  4. Should an enrollment verification letter from Vanguard University be needed while on an LOA, request should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar: Records@vanguard.edu
  5. The Office of the Registrar is required to report LOA and Administrative Withdrawal statuses to the National Student Loan Data Service (NSLDS). Students are subject to lenders’ loan repayment policies while on these statuses.
  6. Your Federal Student Aid will be cancelled while you’re on an approved LOA; however, aid for subsequent semesters will not be cancelled unless the Office of the Registrar notifies the Financial Aid Office of your student withdrawal. 
  7. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information regarding your Federal Student Aid eligibility.