Veterans Enrollment Certification and Benefits

Vanguard University is approved for training of veterans and eligible persons under the provisions of Title 38, United States Code. Upon acceptance into the University, individuals eligible for G.I. Education Benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs or for Tuition Assistance Funding (TA) through the Department of Defense may apply for benefits through the Veterans Resource Center. Vanguard University is a full Yellow Ribbon Institution. The Yellow Ribbon application can be downloaded at the Veterans Resource Center homepage

In addition, the veteran must submit a certified copy of their separation papers (Form DD-214), along with their Certificate of Eligibility and any appropriate application form(s). For details, or to obtain a hard copy of the Yellow Ribbon application, please visit Vanguard University Veterans Resource Center or contact the VA School Certifying Official at (714) 662-5204 or via email at

Vanguard University recognizes and uses the American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in determining the value of learning acquired in military service, and awards credit for appropriate learning acquired in military service at levels consistent with ACE Guide recommendations when applicable to a service member's program.

Undergraduate students accepted into the College or the School for Graduate and Professional Studies will be awarded one (1) physical education unit (to a maximum of 8 units) for every six months of active service completed, provided an honorable discharge was received as indicated on Form DD-214. Vanguard University grants up to 30 units for certain types of military experience and educational training. The Veteran must provide an official military transcript to the Office of the Registrar.

To claim full G.I. Education Benefits, it is the students’ responsibility to request certification with the VA School Certifying Official each semester. The student must indicate their semester’s enrollment on an Enrollment Certification Form. Veteran students enrolled in accelerated format credit hours will be certified according to the start, and end date of each course. Accelerated format will be considered non-standard terms. Veteran students utilizing Ch33 Post 9/11, enrolled in accelerated format credit hours, will have a Rate of Pursuit determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs for each course enrolled based on non-standard term calculations. 

Students receiving Veterans benefits will be put on Probation if their cumulative GPA drops below the graduation requirement for the program being attended as outlined below. Students who are placed on probation or fail to make academic progress towards graduation risk having their VA benefits denied or delayed.

2.00 (C average) The College
2.00 (C average) Professional Studies
2.67 (B- average) M.A.T. degree in the Graduate Programs in Religion
3.00 (B average) M.A., M.S., or MSN degree in the Graduate programs

Probationary status will continue until the student has raised his/her cumulative GPA to the minimum requirement. An individual will have his/her veteran’s benefits terminated if he/she remains on Probation for two consecutive semesters.

Military Spouse Programs

Vanguard University participates in the Department of Defense MyCAA program. MyCAA offers courses and programs for military spouses focused on pursing a certificate, license, or certification in a portable career field or occupation. Specific programs, registration, and educational planning is available on the MyCAA portal and Vanguard University website.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

Vanguard University has a partnership with California State University Fullerton Army ROTC (Titan Battalion). Information on entry into CSUF's Army ROTC program and their application process, please visit their website or contact their Recruiting Operations Officer, Mr. Steven Yach, at (657) 278-3527 or via email at

Military Leave of Absence Policy

Military Leave is available for Veteran students who, due to documented deployment or drilling, need to leave the University during the semester without completing their current coursework, or to withdraw from the University for up to two (2) consecutive terms.  Students on military leave are not regarded as having permanently withdrawn from the institution and need not apply for readmission.  Military leave forms can be obtained from the VA School Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office.