Education and Training Benefits for Veterans

This is an archived copy of the 2020/21 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Vanguard University is an approved degree-granting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as being eligible to receive benefits. Veterans and/or their dependents seeking educational training may qualify to use Title 38, Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606/1607. Refer to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for eligibility criteria. All final decisions regarding eligibility education and training benefits are determined by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, not Vanguard University.

Vanguard University is a full Yellow Ribbon Program participant, a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008. Vanguard University awards eligible students up to half the net cost of tuition not covered by the standard cap set annually by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. In order to receive Yellow Ribbon funds, the student must be one-hundred percent (100%) eligible under Post 9/11 (Chapter 33). For more information on the Yellow Ribbon Program, contact the School Certifying Official

Military Service Credits

Vanguard University recognizes and uses the American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in determining the value of learning acquired in military service, and awards credit for appropriate learning acquired in military service at levels consistent with ACE Guide recommendations when applicable to a service member's program. Undergraduate students accepted into the College or the School for Professional Studies will be awarded one (1) physical education credit (to a maximum of 8 credits) for every six (6) months of active service completed, provided an honorable discharge was received as indicated on veterans VA-form DD-214. Vanguard University grants up to 30 credits for certain types of military experience and educational training. The veteran must provide an official military transcript to the Office of the Registrar for official evaluation.

Enrollment Certification

Vanguard University electronically certifies education and training benefits with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. To claim full education and training benefits, it is the students’ responsibility to request an enrollment certification with the School Certifying Official prior to the start of each term the attend. To request an enrollment certification, the student must complete the Enrollment Certification Form. Students enrolled in non-traditional or accelerated format courses will be certified according to the start and end date of each course as it is considered a non-standard term for enrollment certification purposes. Veteran and dependents utilizing Post 9/11 educational benefits enrolled in accelerated format credit hours will have a Rate of Pursuit determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs for each course they are enrolled in based on non-standard term calculations. 

Students who are approved by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to receive Yellow Ribbon funding, must complete the university's Yellow Ribbon Application at the beginning of academic year. Again, this benefit is only available to students who are one-hundred percent (100%) eligible under Post 9/11 (Chapter 33).  Questions, contact the School Certifying Official.

Using Education and Training Benefits for Dual Enrollment

Students who wish to use their education and training benefits from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs at a secondary institution of higher learning (e.g. Community College), must contact the School Certifying Official to request a "Letter of Authorization" prior to enrolling in courses as the second institution. The School Certifying Official will work closely with the university's Academic Transfer Analyst and Academic Program Chair to verify that the course(s) of interest can be applied toward the academic degree program and will be accepted by Vanguard University.  

Priority Enrollment

Vanguard University is a priority enrollment school for current students using education and training benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or Department of Defense. For more information, contact the School Certifying Official

Academic Progress

Students receiving education and training benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs will be placed on probation if their cumulative grade point average (GPA) drops below the graduation requirement for their academic program being attended as outlined below. Students who are placed on probation or fail to make academic progress towards graduation will be reported to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and may be at risk of having their education and training benefits denied or delayed. 

  • 2.00 (C average) Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Music (B.M.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) degree in the The College, Professional Studies or Traditional Education program.
  • 2.67 (B- average) Master of Theology (M.A.T.) degree 
  • 3.00 (B average) Master or Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), or Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.)

Probationary status will continue until the student has raised his/her cumulative GPA to the minimum requirement. The university reserves the right to terminate an individuals education and training benefits if the he/she remains on Probationary status for two (2) consecutive terms; and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs will be notified of university's action.

Military Leave of Absence Policy

Military Leave is available for any student separated from the military or active reservist who, due to documented deployment or drilling, need to leave the University during the semester without completing their current coursework, or to withdraw from the University for up to two (2) consecutive terms.  Students on military leave are not regarded as having permanently withdrawn from the institution and need not apply for readmission.  For more information, contact the School Certifying Official.


Vanguard University has a primary mission to consistently engage our student Veterans in the pursuit of academic and personal success, including spouses and dependents. Our Veterans are engaged in activities both on and off campus. With over 30 degrees and certificates through our Graduate, Undergraduate, and Professional Studies programs, we have a place for you as a student Veteran.  Our student Veterans are currently enrolled across all three programs, with priority registration offered. Our Professional Studies program has four majors consisting of 5 and 8-week cohorts which allow many of our Veterans to keep full time employment while attending class one night a week. Vanguard University believes in building relationships immediately with our student Veterans.  We have a dedicated Veterans Courtyard of Honor that shows Vanguard’s commitment to respecting and honoring your service to our Nation.  Now we want to continue this honor by learning your story, while listening to your aspirations for your education and life after graduation. For more information, contact the School Certifying Official.

Military Spouse Programs

Vanguard University participates in the Department of Defense MyCAA program. MyCAA offers courses and programs for military spouses focused on pursing a certificate, license, or certification in a portable career field or occupation. Specific programs, registration, and educational planning is available on the MyCAA portal and Vanguard University website.


Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Agreement

Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) educates and trains highly qualified undergraduate and graduate students for commissioning as officers in the United States Air Force. AFROTC offers a variety of two, three, and four-year scholarships, many of which pay the full cost of college tuition, books and administrative fees. Additionally scholarship recipients and all students who successfully complete a Summer training session at the end of their second year receive a monthly tax free personal payment.

Through arrangements with Loyola Marymount University (LMU) in west Lost Angeles, Vanguard University will accept 16 transfer units from students enrolled in its Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) program. In addition, students currently enrolled at Vanguard may participate in the AFROTC program as part of their studies. For more information, contact the Loyola Marymount University Department of Aerospace Studies (AFROTC) at 310-338-2770 or visit their website at

Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Agreement

Vanguard University participates in an Education Service Agreement with California State University, Fullerton (CUSF) which allows for the awarding of transfer units. Vanguard accepts all baccalaureate level Military Science units receiving a grade of “C-“ or higher, with a maximum of eight (8) physical activity units (all institutions combined).  Scholarships may be awarded to eligible students. Eligible students are determined by CSU-Fullerton.  For more information on the ROTC program at CSU-Fullerton, please go to their website at: