International Students

International Students, whether applying for the traditional undergraduate, professional studies, or graduate programs are required to complete the standard admissions process for domestic or transfer students. Additionally, International Students must fulfill the following requirements:

  1. Affidavit of Financial Support. Submit financial certification showing financial sponsorship for duration of planned study along with documented proof of sponsorship. Financial aid, with the exception of institutional talent scholarships, is not available for international students.
  2. Deposit. International Students are required to meet all financial obligations as required of domestic students, regardless of program.
  3. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
    1. Undergraduate Programs. International students for whom English is not their native language are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and submit their scores to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. A score of at least 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 80 on the internet-based test, is required for admission to Vanguard University.
    2. Graduate Programs. All students need to be fluent in English to follow course lectures and complete their written assignments. The university might require documentation for fluency in English. Such tests as TOEFL and/or TSE might be required for international students whose first language is not English. A minimum score of 550 is normally expected on the written version, a minimum score of 213 is normally expected on the computerized version, and a minimum score of 80 is normally expected for the internet based version. A (slightly) lower score may be accepted if accompanied by documentation of a successful evaluation from an English as a Second Language program (ESL) here in the United States.
  4. Transferring. To become eligible for transfer to Vanguard University from another American college/university/seminary, approval must be obtained from the previous school attended and the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS).
  5. Educational Transcripts. To transfer academic units from a college, university or seminary outside of the United States, all educational transcripts must be submitted to an approved agency that evaluates transcripts. All transcripts should be translated in to English and must be notarized by the U.S. Consul or notary, or another authority.
  6. Full-Time Status. International students on an F-1 visa must successfully complete a minimum of twelve (12) units each semester for a Bachelor's degree program and a minimum of seven (7) units for a Master's degree program. Contact the academic degree program for more information about how many units are required for full-time status.
  7. Forward Progress. Students must maintain appropriate progress toward their degree while on an F-1 visa. Lack of maintaining this forward progress to degree could result in the termination of the F-1 visa. Students should meet every term with the DSO to discuss their progress and make sure they are maintaining their visa status. 

Additional Information

For more information on the admissions process or International Student Services, please contact the Designated School Official (DSO) at

Enrolled International Students are required to abide by policies in the International Student Handbook, available from the DSO. This handbook and additional relevant information is provided to international students upon acceptance to the university.