Education and Training Benefits for Veterans

Vanguard University is an approved degree-granting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as being eligible to receive benefits. Veterans and/or their dependents seeking educational training may qualify to use Title 38, Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606/1607. Refer to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for eligibility criteria. All final decisions regarding eligibility education and training benefits are determined by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, not Vanguard University.

Enrollment Certification

Vanguard University electronically certifies education and training benefits with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. To claim full education and training benefits, it is the students’ responsibility to request an enrollment certification with the School Certifying Official prior to the start of each term the attend. To request an enrollment certification for the active term, the student must complete the Enrollment Certification Authorization Form. Students enrolled in non-traditional or accelerated format courses will be certified according to the start and end date of each course as it is considered a non-standard term for enrollment certification purposes. Veterans and dependents of a Veteran utilizing Post 9/11 educational benefits enrolled in accelerated format credit hours will have a Rate of Pursuit determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs for each course they are enrolled in based on non-standard term calculations. Please note that for baccalaureate degree programs, full-time status is 12-units in standard terms. For students in non-traditional and accelerated formats, full-time status is based on VA unit conversion rates during each term’s dates.

Students who are approved by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to receive Yellow Ribbon funding, must complete the university's Yellow Ribbon Application at the beginning of the academic year. Again, this benefit is only available to students who are one-hundred percent (100%) eligible under Post 9/11 (Chapter 33).  Questions, contact the School Certifying Official.

Once the electronic enrollment certification has been submitted to the VA for processing, the institution will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrowed additional funds on any covered individual because of the individuals inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs under chapter 31 or 33.

Academic Tuition and Fees

Academic tuition and fees for all academic programs are located under resources on the university's website. Academic tuition and fees noted are billed on a per semester/term basis and are subject to change annually. Fees are not based on the mode of instruction (e.g. face-to-face, online, etc.). Vanguard University reserves the right to modify the mode of instruction at any time. Please note that the information listed does not include the cost of books, supplies, special fees, transportation or personal expenses. For more information about textbooks, please click here.  Veteran students who are receiving Chapter 31 benefits are encouraged to work directly with the bookstore manager and their VA Vocational Readiness and Employment Counselor on books and supply needs for their courses. The university requires all students sponsored by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to complete the Enrollment Certification Authorization form for each term they are actively enrolled at the university. For more information contact the School Certifying Official

Yellow Ribbon Program Participation

Vanguard University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program(R), a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008. Vanguard University awards eligible students up to half the net cost of tuition not covered by the fiscal reimbursement amount for private institutions  set annually by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. In order to receive Yellow Ribbon funds, the student must be one-hundred percent (100%) eligible under Post 9/11 (Chapter 33). For more information on the Yellow Ribbon Program, contact the School Certifying Official

Financial Registration Late Fee

Students who are receiving education and training benefits through the VA under Chapter 31 or 33 will not be assessed a financial registration late fee if they are academically enrolled in courses prior to the stated financial registration deadlines in the Academic Calendar or first payment date of the Tuition Payment Option, which ever comes first. If the student is a returning student and academically enrolls in courses after the stated financial registration deadlines and before the first day of the term, they are personally responsible for the financial registration late fee that will be assessed.  The financial registration late fee is not reimbursable to by the VA. 

Military Service Credits

Vanguard University recognizes and uses the American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in determining the value of learning acquired in military service, and awards credit for appropriate learning acquired in military service at levels consistent with ACE Guide recommendations when applicable to a service member's program. Undergraduate students accepted into the College or the School for Professional Studies will be awarded one (1) physical education credit (to a maximum of 8 credits) for every six (6) months of active service completed, provided an honorable discharge was received as indicated on veterans VA-form DD-214. Vanguard University grants up to 30 credits for certain types of military experience and educational training. The veteran must provide an official military transcript to the Office of the Registrar for official evaluation.

Using Education and Training Benefits for Dual Enrollment

Students who wish to use their education and training benefits from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs at a secondary institution of higher learning (e.g. Community College), must contact the School Certifying Official to request a "Letter of Authorization" prior to enrolling in courses as the second institution. The School Certifying Official will work closely with the university's Academic Transfer Analyst and Academic Program Chair to verify that the course(s) of interest can be applied toward the academic degree program and will be accepted by Vanguard University. 

Priority Enrollment

Vanguard University is a priority enrollment school for current students using education and training benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or Department of Defense. For more information, contact the School Certifying Official

Academic Progress

Students receiving education and training benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs will be placed on probation if their cumulative grade point average (GPA) drops below the graduation requirement for their academic program being attended as outlined below. Students who are placed on probation or fail to make academic progress towards graduation will be reported to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and may be at risk of having their education and training benefits denied or delayed. 

  • 2.00 (C average) Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Music (B.M.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) degree in the The College, Professional Studies or Traditional Education program.
  • 2.67 (B- average) Master of Theology (M.A.T.) degree 
  • 3.00 (B average) Master or Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), or Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.)

Probationary status will continue until the student has raised his/her cumulative GPA to the minimum requirement. The university reserves the right to terminate an individuals education and training benefits if the he/she remains on Probationary status for two (2) consecutive terms; and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs will be notified of university's action.

Military Leave of Absence Policy

Military Leave is available for any student separated from the military or active reservist who, due to documented deployment or drilling, need to leave the University during the semester without completing their current coursework, or to withdraw from the University for up to two (2) consecutive terms. 

In the event of a federally declared emergency, U.S. Military Veterans who are listed as honorably discharged on their DD-214 at time of separation and have been reactivated in to service by the U.S. Government to assist with evacuations, relocation of command centers, security protection detail, etc. in areas designated/declared as Emergency Disaster Areas (e.g. wildfire, earthquakes, flooding, etc.) may be eligible for academic accommodations with appropriate documentation from a federal agency.

Students on active duty or reservist military leave or honorably discharged veterans that have have their service reactivated by the U.S. Government are not regarded as having permanently withdrawn from the institution; need not apply for readmission; and may be eligible for academic accommodations.  For more information, contact the School Certifying Official.


Vanguard University has a primary mission to consistently engage our student Veterans and military-connected community in the pursuit of academic and personal success, including spouses and dependents. Our Veterans are engaged in activities both on and off campus. With over 30 degrees and certificates through our Graduate, Undergraduate, and Professional Education programs, we have a place for you as a student Veteran.  Our student Veterans are currently enrolled across all three programs, with priority registration offered. Our Professional Education program has five majors consisting of 5 and 8-week classes which allow many of our Veterans to keep full-time employment while attending class one night a week. Vanguard University has a dedicated Veterans Courtyard of Honor that shows Vanguard’s commitment to respecting and honoring your service to our Nation. The Veterans Club, run by student Veterans and affiliated with the Student Veterans of America® focuses on hosting social programs to build a strong network for student Veterans.  We want to continue this honor by learning your story while listening to your aspirations for your education and life after graduation. For more information, contact the School Certifying Official.

Military Tuition Assistance

Vanguard University has an active Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Defense to accept Military Tuition Assistance (TA). Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members in every branch of military service.

Military Spouse Programs

Vanguard University participates in the Department of Defense MyCAA program. MyCAA offers courses and programs for military spouses focused on pursing a certificate, license, or certification in a portable career field or occupation. Specific programs, registration, and educational planning is available on the MyCAA portal and Vanguard University website.


Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Agreement

Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) educates and trains highly qualified undergraduate and graduate students for commissioning as officers in the United States Air Force. AFROTC offers a variety of two, three, and four-year scholarships, many of which pay the full cost of college tuition, books and administrative fees. Additionally scholarship recipients and all students who successfully complete a Summer training session at the end of their second year receive a monthly tax free personal payment.

Through arrangements with Loyola Marymount University (LMU) in west Lost Angeles, Vanguard University will accept 16 transfer units from students enrolled in its Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) program. In addition, students currently enrolled at Vanguard may participate in the AFROTC program as part of their studies. For more information, contact the Loyola Marymount University Department of Aerospace Studies (AFROTC) at 310-338-2770 or visit their website at

Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Agreement

Vanguard University participates in an Education Service Agreement with California State University, Fullerton (CUSF) which allows for the awarding of transfer units. Vanguard accepts all baccalaureate level Military Science units receiving a grade of “C-“ or higher, with a maximum of eight (8) physical activity units (all institutions combined).  Scholarships may be awarded to eligible students. Eligible students are determined by CSU-Fullerton.  For more information on the ROTC program at CSU-Fullerton, please go to their website at:

GI Bill® Trademark 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veteran Affairs.  Third-party use of the trademark is restricted to the education and training institutions eligible to receive VA education benefits.  State Approving Agencies (SAA) and recognized Veterans Service Organizations (VSO). Parties not identified are prohibited from using GI Bill® in any manner that directly or indirectly implies a relationship, affiliation, or endorsement with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. For more information, please visit the VA website at